Debt collectors can become frustrating to deal with, and they can create a headache for you. So, consumer protection laws protect you from a great deal of harassment by these collectors. There are many times in which these collectors will violate important laws to try and collect debts. The attorneys of Parker & DuFresne of Jacksonville is ready to defend you in these situations.
Debt collectors have the right to collect from a debtor. However, they must do this lawfully. Likewise, it does not matter if you owe the full or a partial amount of the debt. So, these laws, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA), are put in place to protect you.
Punishment for Creditors Violating These Laws
Parker & DuFresne can provide a high-quality consumer protection attorney to assist you in these trying times. When a collector breaks these laws, you may be entitled to sue them for violation of consumer protection laws.
Prohibited Collection Practices
Forbidden debt collection practices are as follows:
- Simulating or impersonating a law enforcement officer or government agency
- Threatening to use or using physical force or violence
- Communicating with your employer about the debt without your permission before obtaining a final judgment
- Communicating with you or your family so frequently that it is harassment toward you or your family
- Speaking to you with obscene, abusive, vulgar, profane language
- Claiming, attempting or threatening to enforce a debt when the collector knows it is not legitimate
- Pretending to be or suggesting that the collector is or is associated with an attorney
- Refusing to identify himself, his employer or the entity he represents when you request that he do so
- Communicating with you between the hours of 9 pm and 8 am in your time zone without consent
- Communicating with you when the collectors know an attorney represents you concerning the debt
A Consumer Protection Attorney is Here to Help
These consumer protection laws are vital to your protection, and our lawyers will work to ensure your rights are protected. Likewise, our attorneys can help you receive the settlement you are entitled to in statutory damages. So, if the collector has violated those laws, they must also pay your attorney’s fees and court costs.
If debt collectors have harassed you in violation of consumer protection laws in Jacksonville, Parker & DuFresne can help. For instance, our attorneys can sue debt collectors, end harassment, and collect damages for you.
So, contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your situation and your options.